The Database Programmer reports to the Director of Technology Services and Facilities Operations in the College of Education and Human Services. S/he provides database support to the College. Major responsibilities include daily support, development and administration of various databases, training, and documentation. This position will also assist the Director with various other projects.
• Responsible for database design and development. This developer will be expected to code, update, debug and optimize SQL. In the case of new or existing relational databases, he/she will be expected to lead the data design and produce University-level data models.
• Directly responsible for the integration of web technologies such as: Apache, PHP, JAVA, and JQuery.
• Responsible for PHP programming. This developer will code, debug, and unit test systems per requirements and technical design.
• Design, implement and support database applications that meet the College’s needs; generating new operational workflows to create efficiency and detailed business analysis.
• Ability to manipulate at least two of the following: AJAX, SOAP, XHTML/CSS, Web Services.
• Develop and maintain database monitoring tools and automation systems.
• Recommends and supports hardware and software upgrades, schedules, performs restores, and maintenance (database optimization) to ensure database integrity throughout its life cycle. Patches and maintains Red Hat/Ubuntu Linux servers.
• Responsible for writing scripts using Bash/Python/Ruby to automate manual administrative tasks.
• Maintain/monitor backups and perform point-in-time restorations.
• Maintain and create documentation for standards, best practices and also create training manuals and train non-technical faculty/staff on using the databases to facilitate robust database operations.
• Interact with faculty/staff to develop project specifications, including data migration strategy from legacy systems to the University ERP system and assets.
• Ability to assist with web site design, development, and perform updates as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree with coursework/experience in computing or information systems.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
• Proficiency in programming and modifying php scripts that interact with MySQL databases
• Demonstrated experience in database development and management or relevant experience or coursework required
• Two to five years of database development experience is required
• Formal training and experience in database programming and report design
• Knowledge of and experience with developing relational databases
• Experience required in Ellucian/Banner, Apache, MySQL, PHP, must be able to program within MySQL and configure Apache and PHP
• Experience with JAVA, JQuery, LAMP, and Crystal reports is a plus
• Familiarity with Windows and Linux Red Hat operating systems is a plus
• Demonstrated experience preparing queries and reports using current query/reporting tools.
• Strong oral and written communication skills required
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.