The Groundsworker under the direction of the Assistant Head Grounds Worker or their designee, shall perform tasks that result in first-rate care of the University's landscape. The position must be available to work all shifts, overtime and holidays.
- Monitors all campus grounds to determine needs for services such as, but not limited to:fertilizing, insect and disease control, weeding, dead plant removal, watering, pruning, etc. Maintains assigned area and picks up litter and debris on an as needed basis.
- Maintains lawns and softscapes to maintain a neat and horticultural appealing appearance. This includes the following services; mowing, trimming, edging.
- Hand weeds all areas that are not otherwise addressed via mowing or string trimming.
- Waters all new plant material and floral displays to help with establishment and survival.
- Prunes trees and shrubs to maintain their health and aesthetic value as well as to maintain street, walkway, building, signage and lighting clearance.
- Installs and maintains seasonal plantings using annual flowers, perennial flowers, ornamental grasses, bulbs, etc. Reports to supervisor the need for any services or any unsafe action and/or condition.
- Is mindful of and places a premium upon all rules and regulations pertaining to operation of tools, machinery, etc.
- Maintains and prepares athletic fields and adjacent areas for practices and events, including but not limited to: dragging, vacuuming, lining, clean-up, etc. Edges, cultivates, and mulches tree rings and shrub beds.
- Removes leaves from lawns, walks, roads, parking lots, etc. on an as needed basis to maintain a clean and safe environment.
- Inspects, cleans and maintains all equipment and tools used in the performance of tasks.
- Prepares areas to be landscaped and installs landscape material as required. (Examples include soil, seed, sod, mulch, shrubs, trees, pavers, decorative stone, etc.)
- Builds skill base by attending landscape training sessions as assigned.
- Attends all safety training as identified by the leadership of the Grounds department.
- Acquires knowledge of and utilizes technology as required to fulfill duties (Examples include handheld devices, pagers, two-way radios, etc.
- Responds to emergencies in a timely and professional manner.
- Treats customers and coworkers with respect.
- Responds to and closes out all assigned work order requests in a timely fashion.
- On a daily basis, provides supervisor with a log that indicates all activities completed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
This position is designated as essential. The designation of essential requires employees at these 24/7 facilities to be present due to inclement weather situations.
O10: $31,982.32 - $44,565.31 *NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to $36,176.65.