This position will directly oversee MSU Grants Accounting, which is a unit within the Controller’s Office. Specific responsibilities of this unit include:
- Overseeing the management of awards for compliance with sponsor’s financial guidelines
- Working with the affected units to ensure that processes and procedures are in place whereby expenditures are reviewed for allowability, allocability, reasonableness and consistency with funding agency regulations.
- Advising principal investigators, departmental, and college administrators on university, state and federal guidelines governing expenditures and other award activities
- Establishing and maintaining contract and grant projects in the university financial system
- Preparing and submitting financial reports to sponsors.
- Providing financial reports and reporting tools to investigators and departments as needed to assist in award oversight Invoicing sponsors, monitoring and collecting outstanding accounts receivable
- Overseeing timely close-out activity including transferring of residual accounts
- Depositing and maintaining records of payments received from sponsors
- Assisting auditors with data requests and reports
- Preparing the annual Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards and State Financial Assistance
- Maintaining and monitoring records, encumbering, invoicing and processing payments associated with the University subcontractors
- Working collaboratively with other MSU service units having sponsored project or university fiscal responsibilities
- Control and oversight of sponsored projects financial training programs and delivery to all University staff/faculty having financial interactions on sponsored programs
- As primary effort coordinator, manages the Effort Certification process on a system-wide basis. Monitor faculty distribution of effort to assure compliance with federal and university regulations and other sponsor requirements.
- Fosters team spirit and collaboration among staff members and colleagues to accomplish better integration of pre and post award functions; timely and accurate reporting to investigators; and timely resolution of issues.
- Keeps current on changes in sponsor regulations pertaining to the submission and administration of grants and contracts.
- Liaises with the Office for Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) to effectively manage fiscal compliance over the MSU grant portfolio, including new awards and potential grant submissions.
- Prepares and negotiates the University’s F&A rate proposal and when applicable a fringe benefit rate with the University’s cognizant agency.
- Reviews expenditures produced by the MSU grant programs to ensure accuracy and compliance with sponsor regulations, including appropriate distribution of faculty and staff effort, appropriate spending rates and timely monitoring of budget-to-actual variances.
- Serves as MSU liaison between external agencies and internal administrative offices to ensure compliance with federal, state, and private regulations governing grants and contracts.
- Serves as fiscal lead for audits and site visits by federal, state, and county sponsors.
- Regularly meets with the schools’ Deans and grant administrators to keep them informed about the status of their grants
Leverage Peoplesoft & Workday Financial System Technology:
- Monitors grant related transaction to the general ledger making appropriate adjustments when needed
- Manages the supporting tables within finance system for grant accounting and initiates updates as needed.
- Manages system testing and coordination of testing with department workflow
- Utilize reporting tools to generate financial reports
- Generate various output reports
- Initiate vendor billings
Leverage Workday Payroll System Technology:
- Utilize reporting tool for validation of salary information, labor distribution/redistribution and effort reporting requirements
- Generate various output reports
End User Systems Support & Process Workflow:
- Responsible for receiving and resolving helpdesk tickets as first level support for the grants module
- Provides end user training/guidance in one on one and group settings
- Monitors and resolves grants module workflow issues
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general detail considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.