Reporting to the Director of Procurement Services, the Associate Director provides high-level managerial and administrative support for all phases of the University’s procurement process for goods and services, for a public university with annual outlays totaling more than $350 million. In the absence of the Director of Procurement Services, Goods and Services the Associate Director serves as the leader of this department.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field.
• At least eight (8) years of procurement experience with a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience.
• Overall knowledge of the procurement of goods and services (i.e.: office supplies, information technology, and professional services).
• Strong technology skills, which includes deep knowledge of enterprise systems including a sophisticated procurement module, such as PeopleSoft, Workday or SAP. In addition, strong spreadsheet and database skills.
• A commitment to the principles and practices of continuous improvement. An analytical approach identifying opportunities and barriers, but also a creative and pragmatic approach to develop solutions.
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal communications and management skills.
• Knowledge of relevant budgeting, accounting, and internal control principles and techniques.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Experience in a New Jersey public entity preferred.
• Knowledge of competitive bidding process in the public sector environment.
• Five (5) years supervisory experience is preferred, including hiring, training, mentoring, and evaluating staff, preferably in a comparably large, complex, and fast paced procurement operation.